This donation opportunity increases access to fresh fruits and vegetables for Delawareans in need, while reducing losses for farmers. We work with a network of statewide partners to provide nutritious food to people experiencing food insecurity. Our organization also provides nutrition education and workforce development opportunities to empower community members and create long-term solutions to the problems of hunger and poverty in Delaware.
The Food Bank of Delaware is committed to working with our farmers to increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables and provide the healthy and balanced meals that Delaware families need to thrive.
Two Easy Ways to Donate!
- Schedule a Pick Up: Our Operations team is happy to plan their daily route to travel to farms throughout Delaware and pick up large produce donations.
- To arrange this, contact our Food Sourcing Manager, who will work with staff to schedule a pick up.
The Food Bank will handle all logistics from loading to transporting to receiving the donation. Once the food makes its way back to one of our locations, a receipt noting the poundage will be mailed to the address of the farmers’ choice.
- Drop Off a Donation: We accept small to medium-sized donations at both our Newark and Milford locations during our business hours: M-F from 8:30am – 4:00pm. We also have select evening and Saturday availability (please call ahead for specific dates). Our staff can help you unload the donation, will weigh it and give you a receipt with the pounds of produce recorded.
- What if I can’t get to you during regular business hours? Our organization has limited resources to make trips outside of business hours, however we hate to see food go to waste. Please call us if you need to make special arrangements, and we can determine if there’s a way to work together to make it happen. We are also currently exploring the possibility of expanded hours to accommodate growers.
- Do I qualify for any tax benefits by donating? The 2015 PATH Act expanded federal tax deductions for farmers’ charitable donation contributions. Our organization will provide a receipt with the total pounds of food donated, however we cannot assign a dollar value to the food. Agricultural producers in Delaware should talk to their tax advisors to help answer any questions they have about determining the fair market value of the products donated and calculating the availability and value of their charitable contribution tax deductions.
Get in touch! If you have any questions or wish to schedule a pick up, please contact:
Food Sourcing Manager