Food Drive Tools
Do you have hundreds of pounds or just a few boxes or bags? No matter the size we’ll use your donation to feed Delawareans in need. If you have safe, edible foods or food ingredients, we can find a way to use them. Whether you want to hold a food drive in your neighborhood, office or school, we’ll help you make sure your food drive is the best ever! Food drives are simple and easy.
Follow these five simple steps to ensure a successful drive:
- Plan ahead. Set the date for your food drive and determine what types of food you’ll collect. Don’t forget to identify supplies that may be needed – collection boxes, signage etc.
- If your organization collects more than 20 boxes or bags, we’ll arrange to pick it up. For smaller donations, we ask that you drop them off to one of our warehouses or one of our statewide drop-off locations.
- Set your goal. How much do you want to collect? Will you measure by boxes or pounds collected? Do you want to have a challenge with another department or class?
- Get everyone involved. Company management or governing boards can help motivate individuals by setting a standard for participation. Consider a match program where a company or individual matches what is collected with a cash donation.
- Promote your food drive. Make signs, send e-mails – get the word out there! Make sure you let participants know what types of food products are being collected, where donations can be dropped off and how long the drive will last.
Please note, the Food Bank of Delaware cannot accept hard candy, lollipops, soda in cans and bottles, chocolate bars or pieces, gum and soft candy such as marshmallows, caramels, taffy, licorice, gummy items, savory snacks such as chips puffed cheese snacks, pork rinds and sweet snacks including cakes, cookies, donuts, ice cream, pastries and popsicles.
If you are interested in having a Food Bank of Delaware staff member speak to your group as part of your food drive, please contact Caitlin Custer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you in need of a collection barrel or food drive donation pick up? Please fill out the below form (Please note, we are able to pick up donations that are larger than 20 boxes/bags. If you collected less, please deliver to our Newark or Milford warehouses to help save on transportation costs.)