Food Bank of Delaware kicks off Thanksgiving food drive
October 10, 2022
Thanksgiving is just 45 days away (at least it is if you are reading this on October 10!)! To prepare for the holiday season, the Food Bank of Delaware kicked off its annual Thanksgiving holiday food drive today. With high costs due to inflation, the community’s support is needed now more than ever to ensure that Delawareans have hot holiday meals on the table this season.
“More than 100,000 of our Delaware neighbors have difficulties affording food,” said Food Bank of Delaware President and CEO Cathy Kanefsky. “No family deserves to go without a hot holiday meal. Our community can help us bring hope this season by hosting an in-person food drive or an online fundraiser to help us purchase food. Together, we can all brighten the holiday season for our neighbors in need.”
There are two ways to support the Food Bank of Delaware’s Thanksgiving food drive:
- Host an online fundraiser: An online food fundraiser enables the Food Bank to purchase items that are most in need. The Food Bank’s buying power is strong; for every dollar donated, the Food Bank of Delaware can provide three meals to Delawareans in need.
- Host an in-person food drive: For individuals and businesses interested in conducting physical food drives, cardboard collection barrels may be picked up (participants may also use their own collection boxes!), and donations may be delivered to the Food Bank of Delaware in Newark (222 Lake Drive) and Milford (1040 Mattlind Way) Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
To ensure your donation can be distributed in time for Thanksgiving, please be sure to deliver to the Food Bank by Thursday, November 10. Items delivered after that date will be distributed through the remainder of the holiday season.
Most-needed holiday items include:
- Cranberry sauce
- Cold cereals
- Pudding mix
- Canned pumpkin
- Graham cracker pie crust
- Canned gravy
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mashed potatoes
- Hearty soups
- Corn muffin mix
- Canned sweet potatoes and yams
- Canned peas and green beans
- 100% fruit juice
- Hot chocolate
- Coffee and tea
- Evaporated milk
- Turkey pans
- Frozen turkeys (must be dropped off to Newark or Milford warehouses)