Highmark donates $250,000 to Building Hope in Milford capital campaign
February 27, 2023
This morning, Highmark presented a $250,000 donation to help support the Building Hope in Milford capital campaign.
Once the new facility is operational, the Highmark-supported Healthy Pantry Center will provide an opportunity for neighbors in need to choose curbside pick up or select most-needed items from pantry shelves. In addition to food, the Healthy Pantry Center will also serve as a community resource center with healthy cooking demonstrations, health screenings, benefits outreach and more.
“We are excited for the Food Bank to enhance its presence downstate through the Milford site so they can continue to serve Delawareans through more than just food and nutrition, but through education, workforce training, and social services support,” said Nick Moriello, president of Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware.
“We are grateful for Highmark’s continued support of our mission,” said Food Bank of Delaware President and CEO Cathy Kanefsky. “Our work is not possible without the commitment of partners like Highmark. This donation is a testament to Highmark’s commitment to creating a healthier Delaware for all – especially our community’s most vulnerable. Our new Healthy Pantry Center will allow us to serve our community with dignity by providing choice.”
The new facility will enable the Food Bank of Delaware to:
- Expand cold storage and warehouse space to distribute an additional 3.7 million pounds of fresh foods and 6 million pounds of nonperishable food;
- Create dedicated space for a Healthy Pantry Center to directly serve those in need of food assistance;
- Construct a 4,000-square-foot volunteer room that includes orientation space and a safe, welcoming working environment;
- Create classroom and hands-on training space for training programs in culinary and warehousing/logistics;
- Plant a 3.5-acre garden to grow fresh foods for Delawareans in need and provide a tranquil spot for residents of the neighboring Delaware Veterans Home;
- Open an on-site café to provide employment and additional training opportunities to graduates of the culinary training program, while providing a place for members of the public to buy breakfast and lunch.