Organizations invited to build structures out of food for Food Bank of Delaware CANgineering competition
April 5, 2023
The deadline to register to participate in the Food Bank of Delaware’s food structure building competition, CANgineering, is Friday, April 28.
CANgineering supports the year-round hunger relief efforts of the Food Bank of Delaware. Last year, 33 teams competed and collected more than 17,400 pounds of food. With high costs due to inflation and the end of pandemic-era emergency SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, more Delawareans are turning to the Food Bank of Delaware and its network of partners for assistance.
CANgineering was created in 2011 as a fun way to bolster food donations, while encouraging spirited competition amongst local organizations (a school-based competition will be available this fall). Teams sign up, hold a food drive and use the items they have collected to create structures. Over the years, teams have built castles, construction tractors, barns, school busses, lighthouses, the Wilmington Blue Rocks’ mascot Mr. Celery, slices of pie and much more.
- April 25: A Zoom information session will take place for interested participants at 10 a.m. Zoom link to be provided upon registration.
- April 28: Deadline to register. Register your team by visiting fbd.org/cangineering
- April 17 – May 18: Pick up food collection boxes at the Food Bank in Newark and Milford
- May 12: Start building your structure
- July 7: Building deadline
- July 10-14: On-site judging days
- July 17-21: Online judging
- July 19: Winners announced
- July 20 – August 4: Donation pick up or drop off
“I was blown away by both the creativity and generosity of last year’s CANgineering participants,” said Food Bank of Delaware President and CEO Cathy Kanefsky. “Unfortunately, with high food costs and the end of pandemic emergency SNAP benefits, more Delawareans are turning to the Food Bank and our network of partners for assistance. This competition to bring in much needed food could not have come at a better time.”
For complete competition guidelines or to register, visit www.fbd.org/cangineering. Questions regarding the competition may be directed to Food Bank of Delaware Community Development Manager Sue DeNardo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (302) 292-1305 ext 250.
Last year’s winners included: